Monday, September 01, 2003

Chile Roasting Time in New Mexico

This was the first really chilly morning, and the smell of chile roasting
across the road at Wagner Farm was enticing. I went over to get a
bushel basket of Big Jim, roasted. The corn was just coming in from the
fields--the truckload of chile in burlap sacks unloaded--along with
canteloupe, watermelon, sweet red tomatoes and perfect peaches.

I had my favorite breakfast: a bagel and cream cheese with chile piled on top,
and sliced tomatoes.

Later on - the very best way to eat fresh roasted green chile: the Susie.

The "Susie" was an invention of Mante's Chow Cart in Taos - my variation down
through the years is - take a fresh whole chile, melt some cheese on it (or make it with
a chile relleno, as they did at the chow cart) - put it on a tortilla, with a spoonful
of guacamole and a spoon of sour cream, salsa,slices of tomato - Wrap it up and
eat it up - yum, it's the absolute best thing in the whole world.

***I will post some photos when I a) get them ready to upload, b) get the upload
thingy to work again, and c) wrestle some time away from the Fantasy
Footballer who has taken over my computer. I am losing the battle right now,
but I have many photos I would like to post on this blog, and well as many
links of interest, but I will have to find the time to do it.***



No comments: