Saturday, August 27, 2005


The Umbrella -
Andrew Nagen - 09/04/1950 - 08/26/2005


We have said good-bye to our dear friend, Andrew.
He gave Robert the drawing, The Umbrella - shown here -
Robert felt it spoke to him at the exhibit at artspace - he felt that it was his role, he was the Umbrella. We have had the drawing for a few weeks - here is the
photo I took of it.

We loved him and he loved us.
G-dspeed.



i am a warrior
i am not at war
i am seeking peace.
i work for peace.
peace for us all.
peace for myself.
my struggles are your struggles.
my success is yours also.

i am a warrior.
the opponent is unseen.
i am a warrior.
the victory is not celebrated,
but felt.
the battles are bloodless
and brutal.
i am a warrior.
honor is my currency
and merchandise.

you are a warrior too.
your work is defined.
you proceed each day
until the sun drains you
and the moon cools you.
we all work together
as the best warriors do.
there is no war,
there is only living.
suit up!
time is passing. Andrew Nagen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR BEAUTIFUL SITE. IMAGES, WORDS, AND YOUR BEAUTIFUL TRIBUTES TO ANDREW.

I LOOKED FOR YOU AND ROBERT AT THE MEMORIAL. DID NOT RECOGNIZE YOU.

WE WERE ALL MOST FORTUNATE TO HAVE KNOWN ANDREW.

...a long ago friend of Andrew's.
Josie

Anonymous said...

I also was an old friend of Andrew's, who knew him when we were all in our 20's at the University of Illinois. Although I kept in touch with him by phone every few years, I so regret that I never saw him again after the '70s. I still have a few of his possessions that he gave to Betty and I, a token of his generosity. I never knew he was an artist and a poet, but I'm not surprised. We will all miss him, a great loss. By the way, we called him "Hunyak". He liked that name back then.

When I spoke to Andrew last year, he sounded so frail. I somehow knew his days were going to come to an end soon. He told me I was a gentle soul, but I think he was really the one fitting that description.

Steve
Thousand Oaks, CA